“Answer me when I call, my saving God, when troubles hem me in, set me free, take pity on me, here my prayer. How long, O people, will you be hard of heart? Why do you love what is worthless, chase after lies? Know that the Lord works wonders for his faithful one; the Lord hears when I call out to him. Tremble and sin no more, weep bitterly within your hearts, wail upon your beds, offer fitting sacrifices and trust in the Lord.”Psalm 4
As we begin Lent, three questions come to mind. Where have I been? Where am I now? Where am I going? And in each question where does God fit in?
When I was a kid, Lent was a time I didn’t eat chocolate and a good excuse for crawfish boils on Fridays.
Now, I see Lent as a journey. A journey through the desert in my life. A journey seeking love in transformation of my own heart.
Today to start my Lenten journey, I chose Psalm 4 to reflect on. David’s prayer in this Psalm reminds me of the things of this world that consume us, numbing our relationship with God.
The beginning of his prayer, he calls out to God to set him free and hear his prayer. Then he speaks out questioning where God’s children are?
As we embark on this Lenten journey, I invite you to reflect on these questions posed to us, God’s people, by David.
- How long will your heart be hardened?
- Why do you love the things in this world that are worthless?
- Why do you chase after lies?
Take a moment and read the last few verses, “… know that the Lord works wonders for His faithful one. The Lord hears when I call out to Him. Tremble and sin no more, weep bitterly within your hearts, wail upon your beds, offer fitting sacrifices and trust in the Lord.”
What a beautiful promise by our God…. “the Lord works wonders for His faithful.” He is working wonders in each of right now through this journey we embrace. As we embark through these 40 days, I believe He asks us to do five things.
- Tremble and sin no more…. Fear your separation from a relationship with God and sin no more.
- Weep bitterly within your heart…. Cleanse your heart of all the internal thoughts and feelings that separate you from a relationship with God.
- Wail upon your beds…. Cleanse your physical actions against God that separate you from a relationship with Him.
- Offer fitting sacrifices…. Make reparation for your iniquities that have separated you from a relationship with God.
- And finally trust in the Lord…. Rely on the Father who knows you, loves you and “works wonders” for you.
May this Lent be a journey of adventure and wonder as your heart tramples through the depths of the jungle and through the treacherous heat of the desert, searching and finding love in the wonders of His embrace.